Sneak peak of the March theme – Tech News

TechNews has been released! Learn more about the theme in this blog post

Tech News - magazine theme

With GeoPlaces V4 finally released the team is working on updates of some other themes. Meanwhile, we’ve prepared the theme of March – Tech News.

Though magazine themes might be considered a bit of outdated and overdone; looking at our portfolio, we clearly lack a theme that a tech blog can use. Tech News is a responsive theme targeted towards those high tech bloggers who need a world class design for their high traffic site. Watch this space for more details as well as our Facebook and Twitter channels.

19 thoughts on “Sneak peak of the March theme – Tech News

1. Jeff says:

SO excited for this! I was hoping you’d come out with a new magazine theme. The fact that it’s responsive means that I will 99% be making this my site’s new design. I signed up for full $299 membership thanks to Geo Places v4 and love your themes. Thanks for the great work!

Any idea when the theme will be roughly ready to be released? I want to check it out as soon as possible.

1. R.Bhavesh says:

We are hoping to push launch of this theme by next week. I am sure you’ll love this “magazine” theme.

Some of the friends wanted to create site like TechCrunch or Gigaom or Mashable. We looked around but all we found was “magazine” themes and not something remotely similar. So we went back to basics and created TechNews. Stay tuned.

2. Yuhhhoooo, I was waiting for it since long & now its here. Happy to see this. I am sure this will be super awesome theme. Glad to know that this theme is responsive too. Templatic rocks.

1. Vedran says:

Glad to see you excited about it! We’re also pretty pumped, haven’t had a theme like this in a while :)

3. Jeff says:

This already looks far and away better than WPZoom’s responsive magazine theme (released today!)

1. Vedran says:

Thanks Jeff! Just checked out LitePress, it’s a sleek looking theme…we have our work cut out for us :)

1. Jeff says:

If the sneak peek you put up is accurate, I’m not worried. Templatic has far and away the best variety of themes and most up-to-date style. I’ve recommended it to a bunch of others. Keep up the great work!

2. R.Bhavesh says:

Thanks for the kind words Jeff. We love Pavel at ciorici and have high opinion about their work.

Guess each theme has different use and purpose of this theme is entirely different. Its not about responsive but its about placing your content in right manner.

4. takemura says:

Looks like that’s gonna be another fine looking theme.

You guys really slaughtered AppThemes with your Geo Places theme compared with their Vantage theme (which still isn’t released!), so congrats on that.

But the problem for me, is that I like the pay to post functionality that you have developed (similar to AppThemes) and think this would be better as a plugin so that we can build the sites exactly how we want them to be, rather than one of your themes getting in the way.

If you could bottle that up as a solid and stand-alone plugin, a bit like Woo has done with their e-commerce plugin, you could then offer themes for it for specific use cases.

Think about it, a separate pay to post plugin that enables registration, post creation (we would use Gravity for the form creation), editing from the front end, ability for users to manage their accounts, i.e. update their profile, pay to renew their listings etc.

You could then offer a series of your own premium themes that would use your pay to post plugin.

Give us these tools to build our own sites how we want to build them, not how you think they should be built.

1. Vedran says:

Thanks for tip!
      I’m no coder but I’m guessing that transferring certain functionality from a theme to a plugin is not an easy task. As the name would suggest, this is the fourth major GeoPlaces version – a LOT of effort went to that theme, specially the newest version. Creating a plugin from that theme sounds awesome, I’m just afraid our programmers would shoot me on site if I suggested something like that :)

In my opinion it would be much easier and more practical to use GeoPlaces as a framework and just develop various child themes for it. Imagine themes like WPLocator on GeoPlaces “framework”. That could work, right?

1. R.Bhavesh says:

:) That won’t be the case. But yep, its definitely a challenging thing.

2. takemura says:

@Vedran – if it was only that easy! GeoPlaces is set up as a city guide and a lot of the engineering is geared towards that. But for instance, we wouldn’t want to use it as such. We might want to use it as a vacation rental listing site etc.

We also want to use Gravity Forms because it is way more powerful than GeoPlaces and can feed into Mail Chimp and Freshbooks.

So, we just need to be able to create listing packages, charge for them and let our members have access to a dashboard where they can create and edit their listings and manage their profile, and renew their listings if they wish.

GeoPlaces has this functionality, and so too does AppThemes, but yet you are both tying your prime feature to a specific use case.

It’s a restrictive business model.

1. takemura says:

And I should also point out that we’d want to build our site on the Twitter Bootstrap framework, so a child theme wouldn’t be viable because we’d build ou theme from scratch, i.e. not using one of the many Twitter Bootstrap plugins for WP that are now springing up.

5. R.Bhavesh says:

Thanks for your feedback. Guess this is a practical advise and something we need to think thoroughly. Like vedran said, its no easy task but definitely worth reconsidering.

1. takemura says:

You’re welcome. You have my email if you wish to discuss further in privacy. The pay to post functionality is your ‘jewel in the crown’.

6. Jeff says:

It’s Friday which means it’s almost next week which means it’s almost time for Tech News! Is it sad that I am sincerely quite excited to check this theme out? That sneak peek has piqued my interest to be sure.

1. Vedran says:

No, it’s not sad. It’d say peculiar :)

7. Jeff says:

Is today the big day?

LAST DAY TODAY: Get 25% discount on any of our products. Use "JS2500DG" coupon code when you checkout. Act NOW.
THIS WEEK ONLY: Get 25% discount on any of our products. Use "JS2500DG" coupon code when you checkout. Read More.