GeoPlaces v4 – create an even better city guide with WordPress

It’s been a while but the waiting is finally over; GeoPlaces v4 is now officially available! We realize it took longer then we originally planned but that extra time only made the theme better. Even though the front-end looks very similar to GeoPlaces v3 there are a number of new additions. To see what’s in store for you please visit the live demo. We implemented hundreds of major and minor tweaks into GPv4, it’s safe to say that pretty much every aspect of the old theme was improved upon. Enough chitchat, let’s go over some of the things you’ll see in GeoPlaces v4

GeoPlaces v4 is a completely free upgrade for all current GeoPlaces users!
Not a member? Click here to purchase the theme

Better monetization – make even more money

GeoPlaces v4 takes monetization on a whole new level with features like recurring payments and price packages. If you ran a successful directory with GeoPlaces v3, expect to significantly increase your revenue with the new version.

• Recurring PayPal payments are finally available and will help you earn even more money
  • Price Packages that enable you to diversify your price options even further. Among other things, you can even set the price package to only apply to specific categories
  • Transaction reports with ability to export data into a .csv file
  • Ability to change for featured listings on homepage and category pages

Better listing and theme management

To make content management easier we implemented dozens of various changes. Creating listings for you and your visitors have never been easier

• Custom post types for both Places and Events will enable you to keep better track of your content. WP posts are used for blog
  • Based on Google Maps v3 – no API key required
  • Completely recoded image upload (no flash)
  • Support for mega menu plugins like UberMenu + mega menu widget included with the theme
  • Much more theme options; change things like background color directly from theme Design Settings, added ability to change listing sort order and much, much more
  • Claim listing feature
  • More options when adding cities, more streamlined input
  • User profile fields – add new custom fields for user profiles

More security options

• Restrict theme options for specific usergroups
  • Block suspicious IP addresses and stop them from spamming your site

Revised custom fields

• Unlike “one for all” deal in GeoPlaces 3, now you can create fields for specific categories and for a specific post type (Place or Event)
  • Custom fields are easier to manage because of the revamped custom fields screen
  • “Add a custom field” offers a wealth of new possibilities like choosing the location of the field (front/back end), setting a different validation type and even the ability to apply a custom CSS class
  • For the first time you’re also able to search through the custom fields using the Advanced Search page template.

Other improvements

• Ability to show the big map in category listings
  • Add and show category descriptions to explain what each category is about
  • Improved listing navigation with sub-categories below the parent category
  • Limit the image upload size
  • Full compatibility with WP-reCAPTCHA enables a bot-free user experience

Import-Export

With GeoPlaces v4 comes the ability to separately import places, events, blog posts and cities. If you’re using GeoPlaces 3 and wish to export your content into GeoPlaces v4, update your theme to the newest version (3.3.1) and use the improved Bulk Upload section to export your data. For more info on this please click here. For a complete tutorial on upgrading from GeoPlaces v3 to v4 click here.

To see the theme in all it’s glory visit the live demo. To test the theme go to test.templatic.com
Click here to purchase the theme

Video Overview

For the best viewing experience please watch the video on YouTube in 720p or Full HD.

Thank you!

This post marks the ending for the longest public beta testing in Templatic history. During that time almost 500 topics were created and 2000 posts submitted that resulted in hundreds of various bug fixes and improvements. Thank you for your continuous support and understanding through the numerous delays. All of you made GeoPlaces v4 what it is today – most feature packed geolocation theme out there!

Did GeoPlaces v4 meet your hopes and expectations? Tell us what you think in the comments section bellow.

210 thoughts on “GeoPlaces v4 – create an even better city guide with WordPress

1. Roy Smid says:

Great news guys, the wait is finally over. Lets get started!

1. Vedran says:

Thanks! I had dreams about this day and now it’s finally here! :)

2. Seb (nightman21) says:

Purshased ! ;)

1. Vedran says:

Glad to hear that! For information about the theme read the theme guide. If you get stuck at any point create a thread in the forums and we’ll help you out ASAP.

1. Seb (nightman21) says:

Thanx !

3. Motaz says:

Congratulations to Bhavesh and to all the Templatic team on GeoPlaces 4.

Special thanks goes to Vedran from Templatic for helping us all, explaining things nicely, keeping us all calm while we waited for this final product and being such a great diplomat and a gentleman at all times.

1. Vedran says:

Thank you Motaz. You were one of the members that tested the theme from the beginning, and did a great job! The whole forum crew was excellent – you all made our job so much easier. It’s easy to be a diplomat and a gentleman when you’re surrounded with polite and helpful people.

4. nuResponse says:

Nice job! I’m excited to work with the finished product. Vedran, You’ve been great in the forums!
    Thanks for all your help.

1. Vedran says:

Not a problem, always happy to help!

5. Erin says:

Thanks for the update and the hard work. Blessings to you! Erin

6. Cristian O. Balan says:

Some little problem here:
    – with Chrome the “select city” are have some CSS problem
    – with IE9 the page //templatic.com/demos/?theme=geoplaces4 don’t load (without your frame, work fine)

For now I have no time to see anything more.

Hi Christian
      I’m using Google Chrome as a default browser and it works fine for me. Try clearing your cache, perhaps it helps. The frame does seem to be causing issues in IE9, we’ll deal with it asap. Thanks!

1. Cristian B. says:

I was referring to the intro page. Take a look:
        //img534.imageshack.us/img534/2254/selectcity.png

Oh, now I see it :)
          Btw, we fixed the issue with IE9, thank you!

7. Andi says:

thak you for your excellent work ;-)

8. jen says:

any plans to have the code like plugin GD star rating to have google places count and list the reviews from these sites?

Hi Jen
      No, there are no plans for this at the moment.

2. Ruben says:

I would add my second to wanting this feature. This is going to become more and more important and it isn’t that hard to do.

9. FanaticWeb says:

Just saw the video tutorial…WOW! That’s all I can say, great improvements on the Custom posts and custom fields, overall, GREAT JOB! Was definitely worth the wait!

1. Vedran says:

Thanks! Glad you like it :)

10. Alvin says:

How about the “select all” option under categories when adding a new place ?
    Not the option i really want in there hahaha !

Love the theme , will test it out !!

1. Vedran says:

If you want to limit your visitors to only one category use the radio or select button. You can set that in Basic Settings.

11. Chris says:

Awsome…

Rather speechless, I have been searching for a solution out of the box for a very long time and I must say you guys have done an great job.

1. Vedran says:

Nice to hear that Chris, thanks! I’m glad your search is now over :)

12. Lambs says:

Hi there is an internal server error when accessing the demo site and so you cant view the demo now!

1. Vedran says:

The demo is working fine for me, can you try again? Thanks!

13. yossi says:

How to upgrade from geoplaces 3 ? there is manual for upgrade?

1. Vedran says:

Yes, we have a manual. Here it is:
      //templatic.com/theme-support/upgrading-from-geoplaces-v3-to-geoplaces-v4/

14. Tobi says:

Hi there, we’ve been waiting for the final version of geoplaces V4 and were some of the early alpha/beta testers.

a) In the first few releases there was a responsive approach of the theme that looked quiet good. I’m sad to see that it wasn’t developed any further (yes, i know it’s a lottt of work…)

b) it’s even sad to see that you don’t upgraded the search-function. It’s still impossible to search for places / events in an other city :-(

c) i don’t see the seo-benefits you wanted to implement (or were even recommended in the forum) in addition to the selected city.
    We’re using GeoPlaces V3 on: spoteezy.com a countrywide marketplace for free places (garage, lot, hall etc…) and tuned up the theme to make it easier for the user to see in which area he is (we’ve used the cities-funktion to split germany in the 16 local areas “Bundesländer”).

It’s a bit frustrating – sure guys, you’ve done a good job and it was even a big bunch of work for you – to see that the improvements you’ve implemented weren’t as we highly expected :-(

Hi Tobi
      a) Yes, we had plans to make it responsive but maps were causing issues for developers

b) Search function was extensively upgraded. Now it includes tag search as well as custom field search (using Advanced Search page template). For most people cross-city search isn’t useful, that’s why it wasn’t added.

c) Cities are now changed without any changes to the URL. URL will be the same no matter which city you are viewing. That’s a big change compared to GPv3.

I understand why you feel disappointed but keep in mind that everyone had features that they wanted to see, including me. Including them all (making everyone happy) is pretty much impossible.

2. jmelon says:

Tobi,

What do you mean by responsive approach? some of us who are new to the theme would like to know what that is.

thanks
      j

1. Vedran says:

Responsive design means that the site will automatically scale down according to the screen of the device – it will look great whether you visit the site on a desktop computer or a mobile device. You can read more about it on Wikipedia:
        //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_Web_Design

15. Severus says:

Hi there,

Congratulations for the achievement. I am sure this version is superior to the GeoPlaces 3 and probably the best theme of Templatic history but…

is anybody thinking on a Geoplaces 5 already? :-)

1. Vedran says:

For the past 2 months (and longer for our programmers) GeoPlaces has been the center of our attention. I think we’ll take some time off now :)

16. Seb (nightman21) says:

Is it possible to disable the package price part when adding an event ?

1. Vedran says:

Yes, it’s possible. When you’re creating a price package you can choose in which form to display it (Event or Place) and in which categories.

1. Seb (nightman21) says:

Thanx :)

Is it possible to change slugs ? For example “/eventcategory/”

1. Vedran says:

You can change your permalinks under wp-admin -> Settings -> Permalinks. The theme works with the default setting and the Post Name setting. To edit permalinks on a per-post and per-category basis use this plugin:
          //wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-permalinks/

1. Seb (nightman21) says:

I’ve another question please. When I want to change the address custom field, I can’t find the “geo_map” field initially set in field type, it’s as if he had disappeared, is it normal ?

2. Vedran says:

I suggest you don’t change fields that are locked by default. Even though you should be able to change them, we can’t guarantee everything will continue to work the same. Don’t really know what could cause a field to disappear…are you sure you did delete it by accident?

2. inkt says:

I am having the same problem Seb, I’ve been trying to figure that one out but without any success. Once you change the field name “Address” even if it is just in the front-end the “set address” map option completely disappears… I am positive I didn’t delete the field only changed the “Address” field name and updated.

Hi
            Make sure you’re running the latest version of the theme. This shouldn’t be an issue anymore. Also, you can always connect to your database and fix the HTML variable name there.

17. jo says:

When I search with my zip code which is in Seattle, it gives me results in Philadelphia ?? Should at least give me results in San Fran from your listings.

1. Vedran says:

The theme can only display listings from cities entered in the back-end, and Seattle isn’t one of them. Also, all the cities are populated with dummy content where addresses and zip codes are probably incorrect. This is probably just an accident.

18. Chris says:

I Like.. I now need to upgrade and see where I can take this.

1. Vedran says:

Since the themes are so different upgrading will be a bit of a challenge. Good luck!
      //templatic.com/theme-support/upgrading-from-geoplaces-v3-to-geoplaces-v4/

19. David says:

Do the places link to the events? In order words, can a front-end user set up a page for his business and then connect it to the events? For instance, Peddler Village has an event on the demo. The event post links to the Peddler Village home page. Is it possible to link back to the Peddler Village page on the demo site? Is it possible for that page on the demo site to list upcoming events?

Hi David
      Yes, there is a Upcoming Events widget you can use to show your events. There is no special functionality for connecting places and events, you’ll need to do it manually (providing links in the description) or create some sort of custom field for that purpose.

20. Shea says:

The custom.css isn’t working for me on this release…tried to update the logo margin and it doesn’t stick.

I’m changing in the WP editor under custom.css.

Using the line below.

.logo img { max-width: 290px; margin: 20px 0 20px 0; }

Hi Shea
      Did you activate custom.css before you started customizing it? You can activate it under Basic Settings -> Style and color settings.

21. Robert Seal says:

How does the ‘claim my business’ process work?

I see that they can provide some information and I assume that this is so you can call them. Really not sure how you would confirm business ownership from this point.

More importantly however, once you confirm that they do own the business, what happens then? Do you provide them a link to a page where they can update their listing? At which time they can also choose to upgrade the listing?

Hi Robert
      Claim listing process is almost entirely manual – you have to do most of your work yourself. When you receive the request you must validate the claim (call the owner or contact him some other way), create a new account for him and then assign that listing to him.

22. Seb (nightman21) says:

Ok but how to translate these custom fields ? When I create a fr_FR.mo at the root of the theme, it’s not considered and the language.php file is not considered too for custom fields. I just want to translate “Address” to “Adresse” but when I edit it, I can’t put the “geo_map” option because it’s not proposed in the “Field type” list. Impossible to recover. I also got tested locally, I’ve the same problem.

I’m stuck, please help me! Thanx in advance :)

1. Vedran says:

We are aware of this issue, a fix is coming shortly. You will be able to translate your fields under Advanced Settings -> Custom fields.

23. Mira says:

Hello.
    Could you do the theme with available translation into russian?

Hi Mira
      The theme is available only in English. We started a thread in GeoPlaces v4 forums where you can swap languages with others. If someone submits a Russian .po file you’ll be able to download it there. Thread -> //templatic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=7593

24. phil says:

Hello,
    I have serious problems to conect me at your website as a member. My user is premieum for geocities, I do not understand because I have not full access to information about geocities and from any computer, only from the netbook ….
    I’m tired of seeing that the user does not exist or the password is incorrect when I know positively that the information is correct!

Hi there
      Please create a ticket in our helpdesk (as a guest) and state your username. Our helpdesk staff will see what’s wrong and try to solve the issue.

25. Daniel says:

Address / postocde / zipcode proximity search: this does not seem to exist (?!) in the demo. I have been trying with UK postcodes or placenames in the Glasgow city site. Surely there is a proximity search function, to allow you to find e.g. museums in a radius around a point? Please explain before I purchase. Thank you

1. Vedran says:

“Near” search function is searching for exact addresses and zipcodes. You need to enter the exact street address or zipcode for it to work.

26. Joseph says:

I would like neighborhoods instead of cities… any ideas on how I could achieve this?

Hi Joseph
      Functionality wise you don’t have to change anything but you will have to rename a lot of strings. Each string that has “city” in it you’ll have to translate to “neighborhood”

27. chzsoona says:

I am interesting to buy this product but before purchasing I have lot of questions in my mind. My client wants a business directory like YELP.
    1- I want to create a business directory for USA like (yelp), is it possible that I can create a business’s directory using this GeoPlcaces V4?
    2- Because right now user can search only in selected city, it will be difficult for user to select a particular city form the dropdown list, because there are 20,000 to 30,000 incorporated cities in the entire USA.
    3- How can I handle the 50 sates of the USA?
    4- The number of businesses will be include for the entire USA (restaurants, Food, coffee and tea shops, Beauty and Spas, Health and Medical, Home Services, Nightlife, Religious Organizations, Local Flavor, Automotive… etc ).
    5- Each business has a multiple sub categories like “Restaurants” is a business or category and their sub categories are (Indian, Japanese, Chinese, American, Spanish….etc.)
    6- Is it possible to show records (search) within the radius around an entered zip code and also show the distance from the entered zip code. Like 1.8 miles, 8.5 miles … etc.
    7- Please suggest me how to create a good, efficient and long-term business directory like (yelp)?
    8- Is there any other efficient software or script to create a nice and efficient business directory?
    Thanks a lot.

Hi there

GeoPlaces v4 is a directory theme, but not for projects like that. Sites like YELP run on custom coded systems that took thousands of dollars to develop. You can’t achieve something like that with a WordPress theme. The limiting factor here is WordPress as well. If you plan on creating a USA directory you will need a more powerful solution.

2. Joseph says:

Hello Sir,

I’m not a big expert within this theme myself, but I would assume most of your questions could be answered by creating a test site. Once created, you’ll be able to explore the admin dashboard and understand the functionality better.

//test.templatic.com/

28. chzsoona says:

Hi Vedran and Joseph,

Thank you so much for quick reply, I understand your point.
    Can you guys please suggest or give me any idea about powerful solution or software to complete like that type of projects.
    What you think about joomla extensions like (jomdirectory and jreviews)?

Thanks for your help.

29. Jacob says:

Great work with the new 4th version!!!
    What is the easiest way to ad the rich snippets to the reviews? For example hot to add the hreview tag to the reviews? And the aggregate too?

Thanks

1. Vedran says:

The theme doesn’t have that functionality built-in but I think you should be able to get it working with a plugin. Can’t guarantee anything though…

30. Jacob says:

Ok, thanks for the answer.

31. Cry Yu says:

Now I need help. How can I resize the flashy image on post content and make it smaller ? The image is actually 500 x 500 px in size and it take the site to load Very Slow .. Please help me.. thanks

32. Cristian B. says:

This is a old problem… What kind of size is 500x500px? At least it was 4:3, but not all. And then the ideal (2012) would be a 16:9 or 16:10 format.

For me, with all due respect, those who worked on the design (coarse), does not see well. I am not absolutely a minimal, but from this point of view, all the GeoPlaces, is … too zoomed.
    GeoPlaces is not a theme for a blog but a theme for an informative site (portal?). Having to swipe the pages to infinity, is a characteristic to be avoided for this type of sites. GeoPlaces is too dispersed.

33. Cry Yu says:

I am actually using this theme for my site because this is perfect for website directory… Specially web hosting company directory Like I have here //skynetwebwatch.com ..But the big image taking the site too slow to finish loading…. :(

Hi
      Your site opened fairly quickly, it doesn’t seem you’re using the banner image. Also, you’re using GeoPlaces v3, not v4. To download v4 go to the member area:
      //templatic.com/members/member.php

Have a great weekend
      Vedran

1. Carin says:

Hi,

Also suffering from very slow load time. Just tested the home page:

Tested from Amsterdam, Netherlands on May 1 at 16:25:02

Page size
        1.4MB

Load time
        7.87s

Requests
        114

Perf. grade
        71/100

Your website is slower than 82% of all tested websites.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi

Your website is loading pretty quickly to me. GeoPlaces is a much larger compared to most WordPress themes, it would be crazy to expect the same load time as for a simple blog theme. You can asking your hosting provider for tips, I’m sure they will have more insight.

34. mtchairs says:

Is it possible to link Events to a Place? For example, I want to add listings for a number of Theatres (Places) and be able to show the Events (play, musical, concert etc) on at that Theatre.

Hi
      No, this isn’t possible. Any event-place linking must be done manually. You can mention the other listing in the description – or create a custom field.

35. Andrew says:

Is it possible for new users to log in w/ facebook or twitter instead of signing up?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Hi Andrew
      Yes, this is possible, but only through Gigya socialize plugin. The functionality isn’t built into the theme.

36. Madge says:

Can GeoPlaces be used to list cities from various places in Asia like Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minch, etc ? Thanks.

Hi Madge
      Yes, of course. GeoPlaces can be used for any city that has good Google Maps coverage

37. Marc says:

Ok so I’m having an issues finding a certain widget… the home page widget that shows the listings in a grid pattern for the home page.

The Attraction section where the 3 listings go across.
    //templatic.com/demos/?theme=geoplaces4

What widget does that. I think I have tried them all and can’t get that result.

Hi Mark
      To show that grid view find and use “Featured Listings for your Homepage (Grid View)” widget.

1. Marc says:

OK maybe that’s why I’m confused…. I was looking for this same grid look, but not for the Featured Listings… but for all the listings posted to the site.

38. Mark says:

Is there a liit to number of cities that can be added to dropdown list?

Also, could I remove the “Claim My Business” portion of the listing .

I’m thinking of modifying the theme to support a more regional focus for a small geographical region. As long as I add the city/town zip codes, will they all show up? Can I link zip codes to a city that way?

Hi
      No, there isn’t. All cities listed under Advanced Settings -> Manage cities will be shown in that dropdown. Yes, you can remove Claim Ownership if you want – there is an option to disable it in Basic Settings -> General Setting.

PS: For theme support please contact our Helpdesk or support forum, we can’t provide theme support here in the comments.

Good luck with the site!
      Vedran

39. Carol says:

Hello Verdan
    I have a question about the image upload system.
    I see that i can only upload 10 images. How can i enable more photos to upload, without any restriction?
    Thanks..

Hi Carol
      You will have to customize the theme for that. If you need help with it please create a new topic in our forums. We’ll try to help you out as soon as possible.

1. Carol says:

Ok, thanks..

40. Marc says:

One more question and i know I seen this section before but can’t find it now.
    How do I make it so that only registered members can post a place or event?

Hi Marc
      This is how the theme works by default. However, users can’t register by submitting a listing. To disable that you must turn off registering. To turn it off go to wp-admin -> Settings -> General -> Membership.

Cheers
      Vedran

41. Abdullah Sulaiman says:

hi i realy want a way to change the places and events sections to something of my choice? is that possible?

Hi
      It’s possible to rename those taxonomies (there is a tutorial in the forums) but it’s not recommended. We haven’t tested the theme with renamed taxonomies and won’t be able to provide support if something goes wrong.

1. Marco says:

Where can I learn more about setup of parent categories for primary navigation? I see many of the Geo Places showcase websites with navigation categories other than “Places” and “Events.” Is it the Mega Menu Widget Taxonomy that cannot be changed, or all types of parent category navigation?

Hi Marco
          Using the “Custom Links” feature inside WordPress custom menus enables you to add pretty much any item you want inside the navigation bar. To learn more about how to do this watch the following video:
          //templatic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=6096

Cheers
          Vedran

1. Marco says:

Vedran,

Thank you for the answer. I would like to watch the video, but am unable to access it because I am not yet a theme purchaser. For those of us that are still investigating options, would it be possible for Templatic to post this information outside the secure membership area?

2. Vedran says:

Hi
            You can watch the video here:
            //www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXc1hy3z7Og

42. Goke P. says:

Question. Does this support the use of Microformats/Rich Snippets to publish rating information on Google based on locations added?

Hi there
      No, GeoPlaces doesn’t support rich snippets

1. Goke P. says:

Thanks a bunch Vedran. Next question, any idea how Places and Events will display on the WPTouch Pro mobile plugin? Will they have a category/post-ish interface or would require some customization to appear as appropriate?

1. Vedran says:

No, events and places won’t work in WPTouch. You’ll have to customize a lot of stuff, including the database if I’m not mistaken.

43. Johannes says:

Hello

I am using WPML to translate the content for a second language. I see that when i translate a category place (which are showing in the map) to this second language, in the map appear both translations of this place category. Is there a solution about that?
    Also, is it possible to translate the cities or the custom fields?
    Thanks

Hi Jonannes
      Please create a ticket in our Helpdesk, we’ll try to assist you there

Thanks!
      Vedran

44. Ian says:

I went to your test site to see if there had been fixes for adding a new place and user account.

When I went to this page and tried to add a listing…

//templatic.com/demos/geoplaces4/?ptype=post_listing

I was then given this error message…

Email for Contact Details is Empty. Please enter Email, your all informations will sent to your Email.

Also, at the very top of the area to start a listing there is only an option to be an existing user. This could be related to the error message I have shown you above.

This is a major problem because no new accounts can be added.

I have a client in desperate need of this feature.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian
      Registrations are turned off in the demo so the demo content doesn’t get changed with visitor submissions. The actual theme will work just fine. To test the theme create an account on our test site

Cheers
      Vedran

1. Ian says:

Thanks Vedran.

Are there upgrade instructions for V4?

Ian

Hi Ian
          Yes, we have a complete tutorial for upgrading to GPv4. You can access it here:
          //templatic.com/theme-support/upgrading-from-geoplaces-v3-to-geoplaces-v4/
          Good luck!

45. Carin says:

Hi,

Could you tell me the name of the slideshow plugin used?

Many thanks,

Carin

Hi Carin
      GeoPlaces v4 doesn’t use any external plugins…the slider used in the theme is Nivo slider
      //nivo.dev7studios.com/

Cheers

1. Hi Vedran,

I’ve just uploaded a series of images by dragging them into “Upload New Media.” Could you please point me to a link for step-by-step directions to make a slideshow? And to make a gallery?

Thank you so much!

Michael del Castillo
        Literary Manhattan

Hi Michael
          That’s pretty much it. If you did this while editing/creating a listing, the image gallery has been created – it will display on that place/event detail page. If you’re not editing/creating a listing, go to Places -> Add New and click on Add Media button. If you continue having issues with this submit a topic in our forums -> //templatic.com/forums

46. Iligas says:

Hello,
    When visiting a place category, the Title tag starts with “Place Categories |….”
    Is it possible to change this ‘Place Categories’ tag with a another word ??
    Thanks

Iligas

Hi Iligas
      Yes, you should be able to change that using SEO plugins like All in One SEO pack. Also, you can always do it by editing the code. Contact our Helpdesk to learn how

47. victor says:

Hi, this theme looks great, i want to use it in a project, i have some questions:

1. I going to use geo places in a country who doesnt have ZIP code so i need to know if the search function is OK for address like town, neighborhood, village or custom tag, can i change the zip code custom field to another string and still working??

2. Get directions on single listing sidebar may be can’t be functional for my country can i disable it.

3. Exist a limit for locations on main map?

4. can i change the map icons for mines?

Thats all for the moment! :-). thanks in advance!

Hi Victor
      1. “Near” search field also takes into account street addreses and cities. You should be fine even without zip codes.
      2. You can just remove that link from the map – we’ll show you how to do it
      3. No, there is no limit for the map.
      4. Yes, you can easily change them in the theme back-end

Cheers
      Vedran

48. Marc says:

Is there an rss feed for the place listing? It seems the places don’t show under the regular rss link… But I’m hoping there is a separte feed for places.

Hi Marc
      There is no separate places feed but places should be included in the regular RSS feed. The theme integrates with Feedburner, you should be able to set RSS using that service.

49. Adham says:

Does this theme support Arabic language ?

1. Vedran says:

No, I’m afraid the theme doesn’t support RTL languages. You would have to customize most of the css code to make it work with Arabic.

50. Jan says:

Hi is there a way to bulk upload cities in the new theme it’s overkill to try to add lots of one by one.

1. Vedran says:

Yes, there is a way. You can upload a csv file containing cities, there is no need to upload them one by one. However, for this to work you’ll need to provide all the necessary information in this csv file (including geo coordinates).

51. Alex says:

Am I missing something .. the following error doesnt let me site work and implement the theme :(

Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_option() in /home/a6772152/public_html/index.php on line 11

Please tell me where should I make changes ?

Hi Alex
      The error originates from a WordPress file, not a theme file. Please submit a thread in our community forums and include a link to your site. We’ll try to help you out ASAP
      //templatic.com/forums

1. Alex says:

I have mentioned my website in the website part of my comment anyways .. its this //desttination.comuf.com/
        I will start a new thread but would like if you could give me some heads up to the solution i m using Geoplaces v4.2.2 which is the latest version and wordpress 3.4.1

Thanks in advance.

Hi Alex
          I have no idea at the moment what could cause that to happen. get_option is a standard WordPress function, it’s used everywhere throughout WP and the theme
          //codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/get_option

Try activating the stock Twenty Eleven theme. If the site works we’ll continue assisting you in the forums. If the site doesn’t work submit a thread in WordPress support forums – something is wrong with your WP
          //wordpress.org/support

52. Justin says:

My Map is not Displaying on the homepage but it is displaying on the places pages.. i have tried many things from uninstalling the blog to reinstalling the blog theme and uninstalling and disabling plugins.

Hi Justin
      Homepage map is a widget, so before you try troubleshooting make sure the widget is inserted inside the correct widget area. To get further support for this please create a thread in our forums, we can’t provide theme support here on the blog. Good luck!

53. Justin says:

Let me also add that it is being hosted by godaddy and now its having the problem.. before i had it hosted somewhere else and i didnt have the problem with the map not showing on the homepage.

54. George says:

Hello there,
    can the Geo Places template have differents menus for every city?

Thanks

Hi George
      No, there is no such functionality inside GeoPlaces. You would have to custom code it…

55. Carin says:

Hi,

I’m seeing on Analytics that my site has a really high bounce rate for mobile devices (80-100%). Can you recommend a good plugin (or other) to optimize how my site appears on mobiles.

I just want to have a simplified version on mobiles – maybe remove some widgets such as the map (as I think people don’t realise that there is more content below it).

Many thanks,

Carin

Hi Carin
      Sorry to disappoint but there are no GeoPlaces v4 mobile compatible plugins at the moment. They all struggle with showing maps, places and events. That said, we are actively working on making the theme more mobile-friendly. Expect news regarding this very soon…it will be announced here on our blog.

1. Cristian O. Balan says:

I too will wait with anxiety!

56. chas says:

why can we not add a small map for each contenttype? ie places and events?

the major one in the categories page is nice, but a smaller one for each single place or event is needed…You already have it in the backend so the data is available

And where is the dropdown menu for the city? I see no option in the video

Hi there
      There are three available map widgets in the theme. One for homepage, one for category pages and one of event/place detail pages. Check the available widgets more closely, you’ll be able to find it. To enable a city dropdown simply place the “Multi City Options” widget inside Below Header widget area.

Cheers

1. chas says:

How do u control the widgets? Its starts in satellite mode and takes for ever to load….dont we have to insert our own googlemaps API serial numbers?

1. Vedran says:

No, you don’t. GeoPlaces uses Google Maps API v3 which doesn’t require any API keys. Not sure why it’s taking so long to load, could be because of a plugin conflict. Try disabling your plugins and try again. If that doesn’t help submit a thread in our forums and we’ll help you out.

1. chas says:

thanks for replies, So how do i start it in street mode and not satelitte?

2. Vedran says:

You can do this while adding the city. Change the map layout inside the “Add City” form, it will change the map in the front-end as well. For further instructions please visit our forums, we can’t provide theme support here.

Thanks!
            Vedran

57. Sanyi says:

To me is not working at the events, the upcoming an past sites. It’s not working on the Demo’s site too. The past event appear in the upcoming event too. What is the prolem ?

Hi
      To fix this issues please create a thread in our forums, we’ll try to fix them as soon as possible
      Vedran

58. Daniel says:

Hi … i can´t change the order of categories. I am using the plugins “Custom Taxonomy Sort ” and “Category Order and Taxonomy Terms Order” .. and they don´t work …. the categories appears in extrange form.

Hi Daniel
      Where would you like to change the order? If it’s the navigation bar please use use Custom Menus instead (Appearance -> Menus).

1. Daniel says:

Hi .. to these categories I want to change the order.
        //www.mediafire.com/view/?s956kuwwbb62m51

59. Daniel says:

Hi … no, the menu is not the problem. When i go into places category .. I see the title of the category below the google map, and below that title … I see the sub categories. I want to change the order of this subcategories. They are between the title category and the filter option “all – comentaries – clasification”. Thanks.

Thanks for the info!
      Unfortunately I can’t help you with this here (it will require tweaking the code). Please create a thread in our forums, we’ll sort this out there.

1. Daniel says:

Ok .. thanks for answer. One more thing … the add a new custom field option that appears only for a category … don´t work .. it always appears always no matters the category that i choose.

Hi Daniel
          That option only works with the “Select” category selection button. You can make this change in Basic Settings -> Add listing page settings -> Category display settings.

60. Daniel says:

But if I select de “select option” i can only choose one category.

1. Vedran says:

Yes, that’s because if you selected two categories (one that should show the field and the other that shouldn’t) the theme wouldn’t know whether to show the field or not. I’m afraid it can only work like this.

61. Daniel says:

Ok … thanks for all the answers !!

1. Vedran says:

Anytime Daniel. If you want these answers of mine to be a bit quicker just hit me an email ;)
      vedran[at]templatic.com

62. Daniel says:

Hi .. for the next version, please make a calendar that show only the events of the city where I am, and not all cities !! ..Please !!!

63. Daniel says:

Hi .. one more … the e-mails from the page are considered like SPAM for gmail and hotmail.

1. Vedran says:

Gmail and Hotmail tend to do that with a lot of auto-generated emails. I’m afraid there isn’t much we can do about that.

64. Fortel says:

Hi … my wordpress is a white page !! .. I can´t get in !!. I deleted everything .. I have instaled all again … it worked again … and suddenly a few days later …. white again. I thought it was a plugin the problem, but no. And when i rename my geoplaces folder i can get in to my wordpress again .. the problem was the geoplaces theme. Why ?. Any solution ?

Hi
      If that’s the case it’s very likely that the theme name has been hard-coded somewhere inside the theme. In order to rename the theme you’ll have to find where it’s been hard-coded and change it. To get some support regarding this create a thread in our forums

1. Fortel says:

Hi
        Now my theme is working. From one day to another began to function again.

65. Mario says:

Is it possible to add a section for real state? or any way to be able to work with business, events and real state ??

Hi Mario
      GeoPlaces doesn’t come with a taxonomy that would allow you to showcase properties. Your best approach would be to install GeoPlaces on your main site (for businesses and events) and then Realtr (for properties) in a sub-folder or a sub-domain. Of course, you’d have to customize both to make them look similar (they are not very similar by default)

66. Fortel says:

Hi:
    The widget “In the neighborhood Post List ” only works if the place is created by the admin. If an user creates a place, the place not appears in the neighborhood list. Why?

67. Perks says:

Hi: This theme is compatible with the plugin “jQuery UI Widgets” ? because i want to add tabs to my pages.

1. Perks says:

One more … it is compatible with the plugin “Search Everything – by Dan Cameron of Sprout Venture” ?.

1. Vedran says:

We haven’t throughout tested the theme with any of those plugins so it’s hard to say how well it will work. I did a quick test of both and the UI widgets plugin seems to be working. The Search Everything plugin also seems to work. The big drawback is that you won’t be able to use it instead of the header search. You’ll have to place it inside the sidebar or some other widgetized area.

68. Daniel says:

This theme can be easily translated into Spanish? Or I have to edit some php files one by one? Thanks.

Hi Daniel
      The theme comes with 2 language files; language.php for quick translations and en_US.po for thorough translating (using Poedit). We’ve prepared a detailed tutorial to help you with this
      //templatic.com/docs/how-to-localize-templatics-wordpress-themes/

69. sean says:

I’m thinking about using geo places.
    I have a question before i purchase.

Your sample site works perfect however, i’m visiting a few showcase site on your site.
    these site seem to have some errors.
    the icons for places aren’t showing on the website.

example.
    //www.svenskaauktioner.se/
    //www.travelsrome.com/

do you know why?

1. Vedran says:

Google updated their Maps API which caused some issues in GeoPlaces. This was fixed right away, all those users just need to update their sites to the latest version

70. Andrea says:

Hi,
    is possible to translate it in italian?

1. Cristian O. Balan says:

Si Andrea, c’è il PO che puoi tradurre con Poedit.

71. Abdulpatrick says:

Hi… i have test this theme. This theme just showing the title meta if shared to facebook. And it still show some error on feed, sitemap, and some of the function, if the admin use multiple city option and use splash screen as landing page.

maybe it can help this theme to more better.
    Good luck guys. :D

1. Abdulpatrick says:

oh yeah.. there is something i forgot to tell. yoast seo not working well if it combined with multicity option just like i’ve mentioned. I think it because of select city session. :D

maybe it can help this theme to more better.
      Good luck guys. :D

72. Mikey says:

Is it possible to change the permalinks setting to a custom structure? I would like to add the plugin bulletproof security. But I’m afraid the permalinks may give problems. Right now it current mode. thank you for your help.

Hi Mikey
      By default GeoPlaces works with only 2 permalink settings, default and Post name. It’s possible it will work with your custom setting, but it’s hard to guarantee anything.

1. Mikey says:

Hi Vedran. I try already the post name and the bullet security plugin works. Do you know post name link for “add place” or “add even”? I cannot find a solution to this. thank so much for your help.

1. Vedran says:

A “post name” version of the Add Place and Add Event link doesn’t exist. Those forms are available on the URL you see in the demo – no other URL is available.

73. Mikey says:

Thank you for help Vedran.

74. user says:

Can it be used as a multi-language site?
    I mean similar to NightLife Events Theme.
    Thx!

1. Vedran says:

Yes, it can. While GPv4 doesn’t have any multilingual features but it, it is compatible with WPML. Install the theme + plugin and you’re good to go.

75. user says:

With WPML would it be possible that advertisers post their Places and Events in multiple languages?

I’m not sure if using this theme, or the NightLife theme.

Hi
      Places and events can only be posted in one language. Post translation is only available from the back-end, there is no way to achieve it in the front-end.

76. Does it include the Recurring events feature?

1. Vedran says:

No, GeoPlaces doesn’t have this feature.

77. gregory says:

Hi I’m doing testings and the webpage speed shows really bad on yslow. There are so many javascript requests that is slowing up the page load. Is there a way to put these javascript request to a minimal?

Or put them on the footer instead of the header? Maybe on a later version will you guys do this?

1. Vedran says:

Yes, we will. The next version of GeoPlaces will run smoother and come with less everything. That said, there is still a way to go to that version.

1. gregory says:

With this current version, how do we make the changes? Also when will the newest version come out?

1. Vedran says:

Not sure what you mean by “how do we make changes”? You make them inside theme files; css changes can be done by editing custom.css in Appearance -> Editor. The new version isn’t coming out soon, we must upgrade some other themes first.

78. usr says:

Do you have a roadmap?
    Do you have a page where we can vote feature suggestions for the next version?

1. Vedran says:

The closest thing we have to a roadmap is a thread in the forums where anyone can suggest their improvements for v5. Here’s the link (it’s members only):
      //templatic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=7431

79. Robert Mogsa says:

Hi Templatic,

I have the Geo theme update V4 and when i create a custom field and click only to show when i choose lets say food catergory, it’s still displaying the category when i click add place and it’s there on the bottom of the form.

How do i get this field only to display when a certain catergory is chosen??

Am i doing something wrong i am setting this up through advanced settings?

Please help, can you email me back

Hi Robert
      I’m afraid we won’t be able to help you with this here. To get help for you theme submit a new thread in our forums -> //templatic.com/forums

Good luck!
      Vedran

80. Jagman says:

Hi

I am rebuilding my site and have a couple of questions please?

1. I know I have done this in the past, but maybe its age catching up with me lol I cannot remember how to change the title GEOPLACES on the top banner to a name I prefer (ie: name of my site. Can you please advise?

2. The static page is a really nice new addition in V4, thank you. However, is there a way to use my own design of static page here and if so, how?

Finally, again, I did it in V3 but cannot seem to figure out how to in V4, how do I change the city ID numbers please? ie: If I want say, New York to have ID of 4 instead of 1 etc.

Many thanks for all the work on GeoPlaces, it is a great theme.

Regards

JagmanUK

Hi Alan
      To get help with this please submit a thread inside our forums, we can’t provide theme support here on the blog.

Thanks!
      Vedran

81. Jan says:

Hi,

is it possible to link to a city via url? I heared there are no multi_city url’s in v4?

1. Vedran says:

It’s possible, the URL looks ugly but it will work. Also, you can only link to another city’s homepage, specific category / detail pages won’t work.

82. Nash says:

Hi,

Is possible to hide the place tags?
    Sometimes I got 30 place tags on the posted page.
    Or bring the place tags below, because on top it looks untidy

1. Vedran says:

You can hide it with a simple CSS tweak. Submit a thread inside our forums, we’ll help you out there
      //templatic.com/forums

83. Julianne says:

I am interested in buying you wonderful theme but have a question. I am putting together my travel recommendations from my travels around the world all these years. I would have several locations in many many counties and the various places I have gone in those cities. I have been doing this on a regular google map all these years but always have to send a powerpoint with my photos.

My goal was to have the map with details of what I did and blog posts with photos and more a bit more detail.

Is this possible?

Thanks for developing such a cool product.

Julianne

84. Tom says:

Hello there,
    is it possible to make the home page map fullscreen width? or wil lI be able to do from CSS ?

1. Vedran Fak says:

Hi Tom
      No, unfortunately there is no way to make it full screen using the back-end settings. However, you can do it by tweaking CSS and the php file that displays the map.

85. Talukdar says:

In my GeoPlaces v4 theme the user registration is not working. Its shows error “User registration is currently not allowed.”

1. Vedran Fak says:

To fix that go to wp-admin -> Settings -> General and enable the “Memberships” option.

86. Giampiero says:

hi
    login and register feautures non working in frontoffice

//www.intouract.eu/?ptype=register

is a known issue?

thanks

1. Vedran Fak says:

If I recall correctly, there were some login/registration issues after the WordPress 3.8 update (or maybe 3.7). In any case, updating the theme should fix the problem.

87. Omkar says:

Is there an option to to sort the price packages in the admin so that its easy to sort which package should show at the top

1. Vedran Fak says:

Sorry Omkar, there is no such option provided in GeoPlaces.

88. Deepak says:

Hey, I bought this few days back. I was in an impression that I am buying the city guide template ( //templatic.com/demos/?theme=dirchild/cityguide ) . I am not sure how different is geoplaces and city guide. Is it possible to change the purchased pack to city guide ? :(

1. Vedran Fak says:

We won’t be able to change your purchase to City Guide, but we will be able to change it to Directory. Expect to hear from me (via email) in the next few minutes.

89. Pradeep says:

hi we have purchased cityguide theme, but the problem is when i am searching something its not give the results.

I have listed one clnt in real estates category.
    if iam searching with name it shows. but if i am using tags like property, real estates it cannot display the data,

1. Vedran Fak says:

Hi Pradeep
      Please submit this query inside our Helpdesk or forums, we’ll help you out there. We can’t provide theme support here on the Blog. Thanks!

New Directory child theme: Meet the best Business Directory theme 2016 for WordPress.Check it out now!