It’s been a while but the waiting is finally over; GeoPlaces v4 is now officially available! We realize it took longer then we originally planned but that extra time only made the theme better. Even though the front-end looks very similar to GeoPlaces v3 there are a number of new additions. To see what’s in store for you please visit the live demo. We implemented hundreds of major and minor tweaks into GPv4, it’s safe to say that pretty much every aspect of the old theme was improved upon. Enough chitchat, let’s go over some of the things you’ll see in GeoPlaces v4
GeoPlaces v4 is a completely free upgrade for all current GeoPlaces users!
Not a member? Click here to purchase the theme
Better monetization – make even more money
GeoPlaces v4 takes monetization on a whole new level with features like recurring payments and price packages. If you ran a successful directory with GeoPlaces v3, expect to significantly increase your revenue with the new version.
- Recurring PayPal payments are finally available and will help you earn even more money
- Price Packages that enable you to diversify your price options even further. Among other things, you can even set the price package to only apply to specific categories
- Transaction reports with ability to export data into a .csv file
- Ability to change for featured listings on homepage and category pages
Better listing and theme management
- Custom post types for both Places and Events will enable you to keep better track of your content. WP posts are used for blog
- Based on Google Maps v3 – no API key required
- Completely recoded image upload (no flash)
- Support for mega menu plugins like UberMenu + mega menu widget included with the theme
- Much more theme options; change things like background color directly from theme Design Settings, added ability to change listing sort order and much, much more
- Claim listing feature
- More options when adding cities, more streamlined input
- User profile fields – add new custom fields for user profiles
More security options
- Restrict theme options for specific usergroups
- Block suspicious IP addresses and stop them from spamming your site
Revised custom fields
- Unlike “one for all” deal in GeoPlaces 3, now you can create fields for specific categories and for a specific post type (Place or Event)
- Custom fields are easier to manage because of the revamped custom fields screen
- “Add a custom field” offers a wealth of new possibilities like choosing the location of the field (front/back end), setting a different validation type and even the ability to apply a custom CSS class
- For the first time you’re also able to search through the custom fields using the Advanced Search page template.
- Ability to show the big map in category listings
- Add and show category descriptions to explain what each category is about
- Improved listing navigation with sub-categories below the parent category
- Limit the image upload size
- Full compatibility with WP-reCAPTCHA enables a bot-free user experience
With GeoPlaces v4 comes the ability to separately import places, events, blog posts and cities. If you’re using GeoPlaces 3 and wish to export your content into GeoPlaces v4, update your theme to the newest version (3.3.1) and use the improved Bulk Upload section to export your data. For more info on this please click here. For a complete tutorial on upgrading from GeoPlaces v3 to v4 click here.
For the best viewing experience please watch the video on YouTube in 720p or Full HD.
This post marks the ending for the longest public beta testing in Templatic history. During that time almost 500 topics were created and 2000 posts submitted that resulted in hundreds of various bug fixes and improvements. Thank you for your continuous support and understanding through the numerous delays. All of you made GeoPlaces v4 what it is today – most feature packed geolocation theme out there!
Did GeoPlaces v4 meet your hopes and expectations? Tell us what you think in the comments section bellow.