If your theme includes a Page Template and you want to set a custom page template for your Homepage, then this guide will help you. This will help you to set a Static page, instead of the Blog type homepage.
Custom Page Template for a page
If you wish to use one of the templates as homepage then here’s how to do it.
- Log in to your WordPress admin panel.
- Click on Pages > Add New.
- Enter the Page title of your choice e.g. “Home”
- Look at the right panel block options.
- In Page Template Box, click on the drop down.
- Select the template of your choice. e.g. “Home Page″, “Left Sidebar”. (These page templates may vary depending on the theme)
- Click Publish.
When you preview your website, it will show the selected template in the “home” page we created. Now, let us see how to set the “Home” as a default homepage of your site. I.e. when a user visits your website, the page with “home” template should be displayed by default.
Set a custom template/page as Homepage in your blog
Here’s few simple steps that will let you select a page template as homepage.
- In your wordpress admin panel, navigate to Settings > Reading.
- In Front Page Displays section, you have two radio button options. 1. “Your latest posts” and 2. “A static page”. By default “Your latest posts” is selected
- To have a custom page as homepage, select “A Static Page”
- Here, you have two options. “Front page” and “Posts Page”.
- In “Front Page” drop down option, we will select “Home” page we created above.
- At the bottom of this page, click “Save Changes” button.
Preview your website. The “Home” page template is now set by default as homepage of your site. So now whenever someone visits the homepage of your site, the template which we have used in that page will show up.